Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Moving Forward


“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things because we’re curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
-Walt Disney.


My head is oddly fuzzy right now – probably because I’m happy. Well, happiness isn’t the right word – elated, maybe... Isn’t it funny how the most important things in your life happen in a manner so inconsequential that you have to pinch yourself to believe it?

For years now I’ve lived with millions of “what-ifs” on my mind. Almost a decade of regret, for things that I have done, but most importantly for things that I have failed to do… And one, slightly silly animation flick just changed it…

There’s so many things that a person wants to do in life… Ask the girl at the bus stop out on a date, stand up to that bully, get married a second time, or say “I love you” to a parent… Ever wondered why it’s so tough? (Especially saying “I love you” to a parent!) There’s always something holding us back…

Maybe we’re scared that we’ll repeat our mistakes of the past, or that we might be rejected and worst still be judged by these people who don’t even know us! We have our own prejudices to deal with too – against each other and against ourselves. But it’s so difficult to come out of that box, isn’t it? Yet it’s as easy as saying “Let it go.”

Just think about it… What’s more important? Getting to the top or grudging all the obstacles that came along your way? The great thing about prejudice is that it cannot see the things that are because it is looking for things that aren’t. Your insecurities are like the tiny hairs on your back… You can’t see them nor can you pick them off with your fingers. But you keep brushing against it because the feel of it is irritating…

Here’s what I realised today - as long as I keep holding on to these insecurities; I will never really come out of my past. Tomorrow, when I look back on my present, it will seem as bleak and desolate as my past does to me right now because I never made peace with my history. And as for other people judging me, how am I supposed to stand up to the world, when I can’t even stand up to my own self?

31 comments:

Solitaire said...

Today is the future that you worried about in the past.

If you are still worrying and unhappy, you are worrying in vain.

Remember....do your best, leave the rest.

Anonymous said...

oye!
I can't believe what I just read because this is what has been going on in my head for quite a while and you have put down all my fuzzy thoughts and neatly connected all of them!
Fear of rejection- is the greatest fear. All of us struggle with it during the myriad moments in a single day itself.
And the toughest fight is always against our own prejudices adn pre-occupations. Very rightly said! We can never let go off our own box. Even when we understand all this it is just as difficult as before.

Anonymous said...

On a lighter note, while reading the post I remembered this quote on one of the t-shirts -"Just when I was getting used to today, here came tomorrow!"

Sphinx said...

Hmmm...I am so glad to read this on your blog. Infacr, I cant stop smiling.....I think the transformation on this blog , the transormation of you -the person has been remarkable. You have managed to pull yourself through the worst of situations and have become who you are today. Its a reflection on the courage and the conviction you have in yourself...and I am sure its gonna carry you through to a much much happier tomorrow....

of course with some support from moi:D. Love ya:)

Sphinx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phoenix said...

such a beautiful post mann... it made a lot of sense...:)

i know all about letting go...but you know what.. i feel untill you your self are ready for it it wont come,others can help you let go but then a little will power is required to shake off the past and move on....

insecurities make us loose what we could have achieved by fearing to attempt...... i have suffered too but then overcoming them and moving ahead is the bliss that brings with it a whole lot of happiness and relief

*hugs*

i am glad you made a difference 'to yourself'

The Furobiker said...

go go go... go get it.. go n ask tht gal on the bus stop for a date. :P

Occasional Brilliance said...

@ solitaire... so tru!!! btw, is tat u in d pic? if yes, ur stunning [:O]

@ wanderer... :) it is so wierd how we knw wt our problem is n we still cnt let go f it... bt d point is tat most f d times we dnt evn try... n luvd tat quote... :)

@ sphinx... a lil support? heylo... wake up... if it wsnt 4 u i probably wdnt evn b here... it wsnt only abt pulling myslf... it ws mr abt lettng go f all d baggage [:P] i love u 2...

@ phoenix... u kind f summd it all up dr... u hv 2 mk a diffrnce 2 urslf in d end... cz no1 else cn feel it 4 u... :) hugs bk 2 u...

Sam said...

Thoughtful!! very thoughtful!!
The fact is we tend to believe what we see.. and follow what we have been told as correct!!! and that's where the real problem starts... we are so bound by shckles that at times we find it really hard to break away and take a decision which we really believe in adn the one whihc the heart wants and not the mind. Every decision in life need not be thought out... some have got to be emotional ones. They may hurt you in the end but at least you took the chance to live out for what you wanted and not what you believed someone else would want and stuff like that!!

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

y wasnt i told about d updates??
naraz hai kya?
:(

bou d post...i hav always known u to know solutions better than d ones anybody can giv u...n dats y prolly i trust ur judgement more than mine!!
best thing u said thr was "Just think about it… What’s more important? Getting to the top or grudging all the obstacles that came along your way? The great thing about prejudice is that it cannot see the things that are because it is looking for things that aren’t."

cheerz!
love ya lots!
muahz

Sweetstickychewy said...

Such a lovely post Bubbles. written with ya heart.:)

I say "u go girl!" with one step at a time. gently removing each chairs that hinders you to the best around.

*HUGZ*

I cheer u on!:D

Sam said...

It is thought provoking for sure but at times you are just held back by soemthing!! I so wish I could "let go" so easily!! :(

IncorrigibleV said...

what a wonderful post bubbles , am amazed at how u so simply put sucha complicated thought...esp the hair analogy.
am sooo proud of you for choosing to move forward and takin that step.
btw even i didn't know abt the update
loads of love and hugs!

Anonymous said...

A very mature post Manu...What ifs ruin the present and the future. better to screw them in a space craft and dump them to some never to return galaxy!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow.. nice stuff. Hmmm, I needed this, a subtle kick in the butt.

Occasional Brilliance said...

@ sam... ive said it b4, i'll say it agn... drs no point in lookin bk on a life half lived n wonderin, "what if"... so emotional or not, drs smthings tat jst need u 2 nt think... hai na? :)

@ gunj... srr... ws low on balance n dint tell any1 abt it... glad ya lkd it... cheers...

@ sweetstickychewy... :) thanx 4 all d encouragement... hugs...

@ sam... its only as difficult as u mk it 4 urslf... :) im sayin it wid experience... :P

@ vands... i dint hv balance... :( so dint inform ne1... n thnx... :) im glad u lkd it... d hair analogy ws tanuj's idea actually :P love n hugs....

@ ashu... lolz!!! thanx!!! n luv d space craft idea... :P

@ j... relly? m glad it helped... :)

Iriz said...

Such a nice post, you made your point on that.

Regrets can really be so painful that's why we should take every chance at hand. ;0)

Vaishu said...

hey manno... here is me...

Occasional Brilliance said...

@ abhishek... lolz... u cn gt d gal... i prefer d guys... [:P] actually - jst 1 guy... [:D]

@ reign... thanku... [:)]

@ vaisho... cool me is chkin ur page out

Solitaire said...

Bubbles! Who else would it be??
Yes it is me. Thank you!!

Sameera Ansari said...

Very wise post dear.No use dwelling on the past.There is a lot more to do in between the past and the future :)

The Keeper of the Keys said...

prejudice=pre+judging

What's In A Name ? said...

Why li'l girl, you sound dejected! :(

Anonymous said...

OHHHHH THAT IS GREAT :P

Mumbai Guy said...

hey girl, wassup?

hope your doing good... will talk to u soon...

Macadamia The Nut said...

Very true... especially where you said that the hardest thing to do is tell you parent "I love you"

Renovatio said...

Shit.

I dare you to tell me that word didn't spring to mind when you realized you were happy. I dare you.

Invincible said...

nice post man!! love de way you write..templt z amazin!!

Occasional Brilliance said...

@ solitaire... i still blink evry time i c ur pic... u relly r stunning...

@ sameera... im glad u lkd it...

@ keeper of the keys... loved it... so tru...

@ whatsinaname... lolz... i ws dejected... nt so nemr...

@ kaylee... hugs!

@ mg... whr d hell hv u been?!!! im so happy 2 c u here!!!

@ macadamia the nut... :) glad u lkd it...

@ renovatio... ur so rite... tats wt i thot as well... shit is d 1 wrd tat fits d situation perfectly...

@ invincible... thanku... im glad u lkd it...

Mayur said...

A nice post!
I too kept thinking about past to determine my future and it didn't simply work.
I kept holding myself back from doing things that I didn't do well somewhere in the past.
Thanks!

neers said...

I agree with tanuj...even though i dont know u as much as he does, but yeah i've observed the transformation too..i see a stronger mann now! :)