
When I first met her, she looked little more than 13 years old though she was 20… Pink cheeks and skin as smooth as silk… I remember how it glowed. That glow proved to be my undoing. It made me feel as if my very brain had twisted itself into knots and whatever I wanted to say came out wrong… She still agreed to marry me though…
God Almighty! She looked beautiful when she was angry… So beautiful the way those eyes flashed and the blush that crept up her neck… It was enough for me to want to torment her… Say things in a way I knew she would take wrongly only to fight for a little while and fall into each others arms. Everything would be sorted in the glorious consummation of our love…
....................
Every night she would sing as she made us dinner and I could feel the energy steal into me after the tiring day at the factory… Every night for the next two years… I went away after that… I had to, because of the war. I left her at my aunt’s place – my aunt, the only mother I had known.
There wasn’t a day when I didn’t see her sweet face, felt the heat of her skin against mine as I found myself drifting off to sleep with the taste of smoke, blood and sweat on my tongue. It was torture when the bombs fell like hailstones all around us, and in the haste to get away, save what little was left of us, I would suddenly imagine I smelt a whiff of her perfume… So delicate… So tempting…
She wrote me all of eight letters, each enquiring when I was coming home or why I wouldn’t write back. How was I to write to her when there was so much to say? I never knew where to start… “Darling, how are you? I’m fine here – you need not worry. I will be home soon.” Shallow words… What good would they have done? I knew I would go back home one day, I just wasn’t sure if it was going to be on my two feet or in a coffin… But I couldn’t tell her that… She would have seen right through those words, would have felt my fear and I – the coward that I am – I could never stand for her to lose faith in me. So I never wrote…
In my mind I imagined coming home to her… She would be angry, those eyes would flash and that blush would creep up her neck… We’d fight and fall into each others arms. Everything would be sorted in the glorious consummation of our love… And she would sing as she made us dinner… Yes, she would sing…
....................
When I first met her, she was only 3 years old. A blonde head, her hair tied back into a ponytail with green satin ribbons… Pink cheeks and skin as smooth as silk… She peeked at me from behind my aunt’s skirts… My aunt – my aunt, the only mother I had ever known – told me that she had died at child birth… I think my heart broke… I felt it fall to pieces at my feet… But the little angel peeking at me from behind my aunt’s skirts was timidly making her way to me… I was sitting down now, though I had no recollection of having done so… Where was I? Who was I? And where was she?
The little angel… My aunt whispered to her, encouraged her timid steps towards me… The little angel… Her skin glowed… My glassy eyes cleared a little as I focused on her… That glow proved to be my saviour.
God Almighty! She looked beautiful when she was angry… So beautiful the way those eyes flashed and the blush that crept up her neck… It was enough for me to want to torment her… Say things in a way I knew she would take wrongly only to fight for a little while and fall into each others arms. Everything would be sorted in the glorious consummation of our love…
....................
Every night she would sing as she made us dinner and I could feel the energy steal into me after the tiring day at the factory… Every night for the next two years… I went away after that… I had to, because of the war. I left her at my aunt’s place – my aunt, the only mother I had known.
There wasn’t a day when I didn’t see her sweet face, felt the heat of her skin against mine as I found myself drifting off to sleep with the taste of smoke, blood and sweat on my tongue. It was torture when the bombs fell like hailstones all around us, and in the haste to get away, save what little was left of us, I would suddenly imagine I smelt a whiff of her perfume… So delicate… So tempting…
She wrote me all of eight letters, each enquiring when I was coming home or why I wouldn’t write back. How was I to write to her when there was so much to say? I never knew where to start… “Darling, how are you? I’m fine here – you need not worry. I will be home soon.” Shallow words… What good would they have done? I knew I would go back home one day, I just wasn’t sure if it was going to be on my two feet or in a coffin… But I couldn’t tell her that… She would have seen right through those words, would have felt my fear and I – the coward that I am – I could never stand for her to lose faith in me. So I never wrote…
In my mind I imagined coming home to her… She would be angry, those eyes would flash and that blush would creep up her neck… We’d fight and fall into each others arms. Everything would be sorted in the glorious consummation of our love… And she would sing as she made us dinner… Yes, she would sing…
....................
When I first met her, she was only 3 years old. A blonde head, her hair tied back into a ponytail with green satin ribbons… Pink cheeks and skin as smooth as silk… She peeked at me from behind my aunt’s skirts… My aunt – my aunt, the only mother I had ever known – told me that she had died at child birth… I think my heart broke… I felt it fall to pieces at my feet… But the little angel peeking at me from behind my aunt’s skirts was timidly making her way to me… I was sitting down now, though I had no recollection of having done so… Where was I? Who was I? And where was she?
The little angel… My aunt whispered to her, encouraged her timid steps towards me… The little angel… Her skin glowed… My glassy eyes cleared a little as I focused on her… That glow proved to be my saviour.
“I’m your daddy”, I said to her as I stretched my arms out suddenly in control of my limbs.
She stopped and smiled, “Daddy chocolate?”
“I’m afraid I don’t have any with me right now, darling. But if you give me a hug I promise I shall buy you some first thing tomorrow morning.”
She was angry; daddy hadn’t brought her chocolate like her Granny had promised her. God Almighty! She looked beautiful when she was angry… So beautiful the way those eyes flashed and the blush that crept up her neck… But she hugged me anyway, her little legs standing on tip toe, the arms barely managing to wind their way around my neck… I held on to her like a drowning man to a wooden plank in the middle of the sea. I cried, but she held me still and after a while she blew a raspberry on my cheek and I couldn’t help but laugh through my tears…
It has been two weeks since I’ve been back. And every night I sing as I make us dinner and I can feel the energy steal into me after a long day at the factory when I hear her gurgling laughter…
.....................
When I first met her, all I saw was a headstone… “Beloved wife and mother”, it said. “May the angels guide you to heaven.”
I visited her grave with our daughter. The bouquet of flowers she insisted on holding onto probably weighed more than her… I watched our daughter place it beside her grave. I told my wife I was sorry for never having written… I hoped she had forgiven me… I told her I was sorry I hadn’t been there and that I didn’t blame her for not having told me about the child we were expecting… I promised, just like I had promised her on our wedding day, that my heart would always be hers… And I promised her our daughter wouldn’t feel any lack of love or happiness.
That night when I made us dinner and sang, I felt my wife watching… I knew she was there because I could smell her perfume… So delicate… So tempting… I felt her smile every time I made our daughter gurgle with laughter…
She stopped and smiled, “Daddy chocolate?”
“I’m afraid I don’t have any with me right now, darling. But if you give me a hug I promise I shall buy you some first thing tomorrow morning.”
She was angry; daddy hadn’t brought her chocolate like her Granny had promised her. God Almighty! She looked beautiful when she was angry… So beautiful the way those eyes flashed and the blush that crept up her neck… But she hugged me anyway, her little legs standing on tip toe, the arms barely managing to wind their way around my neck… I held on to her like a drowning man to a wooden plank in the middle of the sea. I cried, but she held me still and after a while she blew a raspberry on my cheek and I couldn’t help but laugh through my tears…
It has been two weeks since I’ve been back. And every night I sing as I make us dinner and I can feel the energy steal into me after a long day at the factory when I hear her gurgling laughter…
.....................
When I first met her, all I saw was a headstone… “Beloved wife and mother”, it said. “May the angels guide you to heaven.”
I visited her grave with our daughter. The bouquet of flowers she insisted on holding onto probably weighed more than her… I watched our daughter place it beside her grave. I told my wife I was sorry for never having written… I hoped she had forgiven me… I told her I was sorry I hadn’t been there and that I didn’t blame her for not having told me about the child we were expecting… I promised, just like I had promised her on our wedding day, that my heart would always be hers… And I promised her our daughter wouldn’t feel any lack of love or happiness.
That night when I made us dinner and sang, I felt my wife watching… I knew she was there because I could smell her perfume… So delicate… So tempting… I felt her smile every time I made our daughter gurgle with laughter…
And I felt peace…
31 comments:
very sweet... very soft and composed!!
it really does touch one's heart!!! keep writing girll.. u've got magic!!
its beautiful..i loved it..Its soo like you to write something so thoughtful and touching..I love you infinitemax +3
Moved... Frankly, my eyes brimmed with unspent emotion.
There is so much of beauty in those words...
Best wishes!
Neat! Pretty Neat!
awwww...i have a lump in my throat right nw...dats wat ur thoughts do to me!! they gimme gooseflesh!!
smehw nw im happy u hav a new blog alltogether!! it has d real scent of ur shuru shuru k posts on d 1st 1!!
:)
kya hai mann...nw its ur job to make me smile!!
write smething dat wud make us all smile for a long time n not laugh for a while!
i knw u can!
love ya
tc
hugs
muahhhhhhhhhh!
Beautiful.u made me cry.so r u done with d bouts of homesickness?
beautiful! :)
lump in my throat.. subconsciously my mouth curved downwards with the sadness!
lovely!
So beautiful. You wrote it so beautifully.
the emotions are unavoidable in this.
Lovely Bubbles!:D
it is just so beautifully descriptive bubbles...
i could almost see her blush when she got angry and also the lil ponytail with green satin ribbons on it :)
but the story is not really fair... its sad sweetie...very touching though...
please keep writing, im sure u'll outdo urself
luv u
That's a heartfelt story. Who wasn't touched by it? I doubt if there is.
Bravo! ;0)
Man man...OUTSTANDING...man each and every detail so minutely described..a beautiful soft melo story a perfect way to start a fresh morning...man I definately n totaly agree to Sam...U got real magic :D
'She was angry; daddy hadn’t brought her chocolate like her Granny had promised her. God Almighty! She looked beautiful when she was angry… So beautiful the way those eyes flashed and the blush that crept up her neck… But she hugged me anyway, her little legs standing on tip toe, the arms barely managing to wind their way around my neck… I held on to her like a drowning man to a wooden plank in the middle of the sea. I cried, but she held me still and after a while she blew a raspberry on my cheek and I couldn’t help but laugh through my tears…'
So can imagine the scene building up..the lil angel..aah.. :)))))
Love ya..XOXOXO
@ sam... thank you :) me is all blushes now...
@ vaishu... you know how much your words have always meant to me... :) even if they are sometimes too funny to follow... i love you infimax+3 too
@ kulpreet... thank you... i'm glad you liked it so much...
@ varun... {my cousin's named varun too}... [:P] thank you...
@ gunj... lolz... i know its my job to make everyone smile but for some reason happy stories never touch me the same way as sad ones do... [:(] i dunno why that is... but i'm glad you liked this and it means a lot... love ya too... promise to try on the happy story front though... [:)]
@ bedatri... you have a beautiful name... and i'm glad the story touched you... yeah am kind of easing up on the homesickness... i dont think it ever really goes away... [:P]
@ akila... thank you so much... and about the downward curve, its actually a happy ending... he may not have his wife, but he knows that she is everywhere in everything that he does... and his daughter is his link to her... so really, she isnt gone...
@ amy... thank you so much... [:)]
@ vands... like i said, im just not good with the conventional happy eendings... and it might be unfair but look at it this way, first she was just a person who could be at one place at a time... but now she can be everywhere with her husband and daughter... love you too and thank you for all the compliments... [:)]
@ reign.. thank you so much...
@ mads... thank you so much mads!!! it means a lot that all of you are here... all the love and support... i'm glad that it touched you on some level... [:)] hugs and love!!!
khub bhalo...
awesome n neat...
liked the process thru which u wove...
The story....absolutely mindblowing....Superb!! Its got an amazing and a gripping style in which it has been related...U just want it to go on and on...Love the way u'e actually introduced the female characters...and also the way the guy misses his wife amongst all the gloom..I'd have prefered if the wife had lived on....in a way..she does...doesn't she?? With the guy.......forever and ever:)...Love it...love you for writing this:)
@ neha... thanku so much :)
@ tanuj... i'm glad you liked it as much as you did... this was one post i was nervous about posting because fiction is not something i consider to be a strong point as far as i am concerened... and i know that you would have liked it better had his wife lived but like i told you over the phone i'm not good with the conventional happy endings... this was about moving on and that's what he did with his wife's image in the form of his daughter... the other thing is, the story is actually based along the timeline of the world war when the medical scene wasnt as good as it is right now... ordinary men were pressed into service and mortality rate amongst women during child birth was high... [:)] i love you too... am glad you liked this... does wonders for my ego [:P]
The story is beautiful!I got a lump seriously in my throat.
Oh God Bobbles, you are awesome!!
:)
LOVE IT :P
@ wandereR... thank you so much... am glad it touched you as much as it did...
@ sam... you are awesome too [:P] and thank you...
@ kaylee... thankx sweetheart...
Wow! That was so nice. You are a bundle of surprises, but emotional must be your middle name.
well crafted.....emotions well expressed. loved it
Hi Bubbles,
Aesome! So well written with so much love and depth...wow! Really touching...Wish I cld write like u :P
For a minute there I was convinced this was a true story. Whew! That was one hell of a punch you gave me babe. Somewhat reminiscent of 'daddy'
@ jollyroger... lolz... volatile too...
@ enigma... thank you...
@ meghna... you write better :P but thank you...
@ macadamia the nut... thank you... im glad the story hit a chord... :)
:)
sweet.. no story has an happy ending these days :O
You create music with words.
@ abhishek... well you see, im just nott good with happy endings but this story has a bit of happiness in the fact that he moves on and his daughter is the propelling factor... but i shall work on the happy fiction as well...
@ phoenix speaks... thank you :) that is the nicest comment i have every recieved... :)
extremely touching...*sniffs*
Simply beautiful!The emotions the story holds is so touching.Keep up the great work! :)
@ farustar... thank you... :)
@ sameera... am glad yoou liked it that much... :D
beautifully written.... extremely MOVED!!!
keep writing babe...
Cheers!!
Post a Comment